Saturday 4 April 2020

Bucket List: Curry Rivel

My parents were always proud of our family history, particularly my mother.  I developed a keen interest as well, and when the resources of the internet became available I was able to search further back than either my parents or grandparents could.

The village of Curry Rivel, England is the birthplace of one of my mother's ancestors.  Located in the county of Somerset in the southwest of England, its name is derived from the Celtic language, translated loosely as "Boundary of Revel" - Sir Richard Revell being a 12th century land owner whose territory included the area where the village lies.

Much of the surrounding land was marshy and prone to flooding, resulting in many settlements and homesteads effectively becoming islands for much of the year.  Historical evidence indicates a flourishing trade of cloth products as well as crops suited for wet conditions.  Today the village and its parish support many farms and craftspeople.

The official village web site is www.curryrivel.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment