Sunday 30 August 2020

Is Corruption Inevitable?

Written by a friend of mine.

"I'm going to piss off EVERYONE today.

Let's talk about de-funding the police.

First off, I understand why people would be demanding this.


The police as a group are corrupt.  If they aren't themselves receiving money for illegal activities, or directly involved with illegal activities, then they're ignoring the illegal activities of the other police around them, which is just as bad.

Allow me to justify those statements.

My first real adult job was as an ambulance technician at a clinic [in my home city].  My supervisor was a police officer of high rank.

On my first day at work I would learn some important lessons.
1. My supervisor was a coke addict.
2. My supervisor was a drug dealer.
3. Police are above the law. Police don't arrest other police.

In my first week at work I would learn another lesson.
4. My supervisor, a police officer, was a pedophile.

Everyone knew it, but see lesson #3.

Over the years, I would learn more and more how corrupt the police are. If you aren't aware of that then you simply haven't had the experience to know better.

Now, let's address the main problem about why the police are so corrupt.

Police aren't paid enough. Police officer has always been a fairly low pay job, but at least you could barely manage to support a family. It was never a path to great wealth.  Unfortunately, this job like most has suffered from inflation. Everything has become more expensive while salaries have stagnated.

Because of the nature of police work, it should really pay enough that they can adequately support their family, and the risk of getting caught being corrupt should far outweigh the risk of losing a well paying job. As it is the only way to support a family properly is to be corrupt. That's wrong.

We should do four things.
1. Acknowledge that there's a problem with police corruption. The first step to solving a problem is recognizing that there is a problem.
2. Forgive all police for past mistakes... if they admit to it and agree to walk the straight and narrow from now on.
3. Raise their pay to where it should have been in the first place.
4. Monitor police effectively. If there is any further corruption it should be stamped out hard. Loss of job, prison time, loss of savings and property. Body cams should be on at all times and the should be reviewed by an independent body at random.

To add: Starting pay for a police officer in [my province] is $44,000.  For a position of responsibility and a certain amount of risk, that's ridiculous. 

We also demand a certain amount of education for our police officers.  
The typical path is a 3 year training course at [junior college] followed by 15 weeks of practical training at [police school].
I wonder how that compares with police in the States.

I keep saying this, that there is [also] a huge problem when the [provincial] police union is called "The Brotherhood" - that in and of itself points to a mafia-type culture.  It has to stop."

No comments:

Post a Comment