Thursday 4 February 2016

Job Terminology

I've been looking for work since my child started school, and I have noticed a large shift in the way jobs are described.  So many times I've seen listings with names and terms (some that aren't even understandable by anyone other than a nerd) that describe relatively straightforward jobs that have have many extra duties added on.  It's not just political-correcting job functions - "sanitation engineer" instead of "garbage collector" for example - it's making things more convoluted for the average job seeker.

A "Business Analyst" is basically a salesperson who is also required to program software and gather information.  A "Documentation Manager" not only writes documents but leads a team in lockstep with customer service.  And so on.  Even my last full-time job as a "Technical Communicator" had me not only preparing documentation but also doing graphic design, managing office supplies, and other tasks way outside of my original job description.

No wonder so many people can't find a job they're qualified for.  The positions out there aren't just jobs, they're a smorgasbord of different (albeit related) tasks smushed together under one name to make it look important.  In my opinion that's just a company's way of saving money by hiring one person to do the work of three.

The first full-time job I had was a data-entry clerk.  I sat at a computer and entered data.  That's it, that's all.  Today a "Data Entry Clerk" doesn't just enter data but might prepare inventory, write up invoices, participate in meetings, and deal with customers.  The specs have changed.

Now, I'm a writer who understands a little bit about editing, copywriting, web design, and research.  But I'm not a Project Coordinator, Growth Hacker, Word Ambassador, or any other glorified term.  I can write, and I do it well.  Just don't ask me about all the other nonsense on the side like SEO or analytics.

Unfortunately for me that amounts to being a one-trick pony.  And nobody wants those.

1 comment:

  1. If you've been following Downton Abbey, even then they were combining jobs like butler, footman, chauffeur, etc., much to the consternation of Mr. Barrows.

    ReplyDelete