Thursday 29 September 2016

Dedication

I am Canadian and therefore I don't have a vote in the upcoming U.S. election.

However, Donald Trump scares me.  How he could even have become a candidate for President of one of the most powerful nations in the world scares me even more.  His rise only proves that the undercurrent of misongyny, racism, barbarism, and fear is still alive and well below the thin veneer of modern civilization.

My paternal grandmother distrusted black people to the extent that once when she was hospitalized for an infection she refused to be attended by a black orderly.  My father made a point of never buying cars that were made in Asia, and maintained that Asians who insisted on not integrating with our society had no business coming here.  Both were fearful that Muslims would one day "take over".

Thankfully I don't share that view.

What I will share is the experience of educating myself and growing beyond the family history of suspicion and bigotry.  I will share the experience of being threatened, controlled, and sexually assaulted by someone who said that I had to meet his needs or else he would discard me.  I will share the experience of being a second class citizen in my own province because I don't speak the language of the majority.

All one has to do is look at the American political scene to see that there is a large number of people who openly declare that a woman's place is in the kitchen, a man's place is at the top of the heap, and immigrants' places are not in America.  That's no way to create a strong country.

I would dedicate my no-Trump vote to all those who learned from experience that they must grow as a person and respect those who care about real issues instead of blindly following deplorable personalities.

#DedicateYourNoTrumpVote
To Dedicate Your No-Trump Vote, Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment