Monday 10 October 2016

The Best of Funny

Most of my friends watched the Presidential debate.  I didn't.  I was taking a much needed two-day respite in a place with no TV or Internet because I had been overwhelmed with the craziness of everything.  There's so much darkness in the world.

So today I've decided to post about good clean humour.  Here are five of my personal favourite funny moments (in no particular order).

1. Who's On First

I remember being very young and turning on the TV on Saturday mornings to see reruns of the Hanna-Barbera Abbott and Costello cartoon.  Over the years I've heard much about the duo's wacky humour but it was only recently that I discovered one of their most famous sketches.  You don't even have to like baseball to enjoy this.

2. Better Late Than Never

My parents had a recording called "You Won't Believe Your Ears" that was originally pressed in 1963 and reissued on CD in 1991.  It features comedian Wes Harrison who was famous for his vocal sound effects; in fact he did many of the effects used in the Disney films Peter Pan and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.  Here's an excerpt from the record, in which he makes fun of men who try to sneak into their house without waking anyone up.

3. I'm Just Wild About Harry

Most people are familiar with the antics of the Muppets from Sesame Street.  However it was on The Muppet Show where they truly were able to cut loose with their own brand of silly humour and gratuitous violence.  Of all the sketches they did there are a few that stuck with me, including this gem of a performance with Jean Stapleton.

4. Seeing Eye

The TV show I Dream of Jeannie, about an astronaut who discovers a merely semi-competent genie, had so many funny moments that it's hard to pick just one.  However one that stood out to me was during an episode where Jeannie attempted to give her master "perfect vision" and ended up making him blind instead.

5. Nudge Nudge

I must admit I was an adult before I could appreciate the unique and twisted humour of the British comedians who are collectively known as Monty Python.  This classic scene with Eric Idle and Terry Jones showcases a still-relevant problem: an under-educated youth attempting to solicit personal advice but is too embarrassed to speak plainly.

So what's your favourite funny moment?

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the laughs! I love Who's On First... long before I loved baseball. And it was hilarious to introduce it to my kids about a year ago. Passing on the laughs to future generations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Who's on First is one of the masterpieces of comedy. I should watch some old I Dream of Jeannie episodes, I remember really loving that show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a brother in law who with a friend does this routine, who's on first is a favorite.

    ReplyDelete