Saturday 15 October 2016

Trump's Terrors

I've officially had it with all the rhetoric and ugliness surrounding the U.S. election.  No matter the reason for not voting for one candidate or the other, what it comes down to is many people simply don't want to hold an intelligent conversation or to educate themselves properly on the issues.  And those who support Trump are the worst of the lot.

Last night I had the misfortune of getting involved in a conversation with someone who was quite obviously a Trump supporter.  He said the usual things about Secy. Clinton:

"When faced with the alternative of a liar, email deleting, justice avoiding, marine killing, and dirty excuse for a "woman" than yea Donald all day long.  As far as a few bankruptcies vs his successful business I think we're good."

When someone else pointed out Trump's enormous deficiencies and how dangerous the man is, he upped the ante:

"If you say so bro, yet the world would crumble to its knees without us.  We are the last remaining true super power and have spent our entire existence bailing out the world.  I have put in my time in any ways possible so I have earned my opinion.  Trust me when I say Trump is a horrible person but doesn't hold a candle to Hillary."

When I made a comment about how I couldn't believe that anyone would prefer to support a man who has openly bragged about sexually assaulting women instead of a capable woman who might have made some questionable decisions in the past, there was this little retort:

"Questionable decisions??  Multiple people killed! vs one sexually assaulted with a cattle prod... please... ppssht.  Women report when it's worth a few million dollars ... at least in this case."

Having been a victim of sexual assault myself, I was livid and I quickly took him to task for his callousness.  He didn't care and chose to return to another thread in which he boasted about how the U.S. had helped to win WWII among other things.  When faced with the fact that Canada had entered the war before the U.S. had, he went on a self-righteous rant:

"If we had not gotten involved, the world would be speaking German.  This is fact, not opinion.  France, England, etc. would not exist without us.  Or Canada."

There I disagreed.  Even if Europe had fallen, Canada would probably still have existed in some form because given the technology at the time the Germans would not have been able to mount an effective assault across the ocean.  Facing both the U.S. and Canadian military would have been very difficult if not impossible.  Then I sarcastically mentioned that in 1812 the U.S. had attempted to invade Canada with little luck, to which he shot back:

"Hahahaha you have got to be kidding me?  This is 2016.  We can walk right in if we wanted to and take what we want," and posted a photo of a pistol that he happened to be wearing at the time.

At that moment I realized that I was dealing with a person who was more dangerous than Trump is.  He was fanatical, armed, willing to resort to scare tactics to prove his point, and had just made a threat.  Immediately I ended the conversation and blocked him, but the incident left me shaken.

And so until the American election is over I'll be avoiding the circus.  These people just can not be reasoned with, at all, and as far as I'm concerned, they are no better than terrorists and deserve what they get.


2 comments:

  1. As an outside observer I can say that neither Hilary Clinton nor Donald Trump are doing America's world image any good. From afar it seems that the one is as bad as the other and all I can say is that we are hoping for the best but fearing the worst!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever followed the election process as much as this year... I don't know if it's because the candidates are more well known or if they're getting a lot more airtime in Canada than in previous elections... or if it's just curiousity... kind of like watching a train wreck. But I really can't believe some of the craziness I hear from people I who otherwise seem to be quite rational (on both sides). I'll be glad when this is over and we can get on with life and "real" news.

    ReplyDelete