Tuesday 8 December 2020

It's Time to Stop


Doctors and nurses who've treated Covid patients are dying from Covid. Hospitals are running out of space and equipment. All because too many people are refusing to do the right thing in the name of "freedom" and "privilege". The following was copied from another page, author unknown:

From my friend and neighbour.
- I am an Emergency Physician. I am on the front line of the COVID tidal wave. Every shift I place myself, along with my colleagues, my friends, in harm’s way to do what we can to help those inflicted with this unique virus sweeping the globe, our communities, in a way we have never before seen.
We are there when someone comes in with that tickle in their throat, or their fever, or their cough, worried that this is it, that they have contracted COVID, despite their best efforts at avoidance. We are there to reassure them that they “aren’t that sick”, that things look good; right now. We see the doubt on their faces when we send them home to isolate, to await their test result. Is it? Isn’t it? Will I get worse, will I infect those around me? Have I already done so?
We are there when those already diagnosed come to us feeling worse. Is this the start of their decline? Is this chest pain, this shortness of breath, this difficultly laying down to sleep, this ongoing fever something to worry about? Am I going to pull through? Am I well enough to go home? Are you sure? What if I get worse? Will I know? We see their fear, they give us our trust. They want us to give them good news, they fear the worst. We fear it too. We remain optimistic. Because they need us to.
We are there when the worst-off need our care. When they reach the point where the virus has overwhelmed their lungs’ ability to oxygenate their body, we are there. We walk them through the process of what comes next. We have you, we’re going to do our best. We see them try to remain calm. They know. We know. Is this the end?
Then we are there at the head of their bed, staring down at the sedated face of someone’s loved one, about to place a tube in their throat to try and assist their breathing; knowing that it may not be enough, that they may yet succumb. We do this and we move on. Because we have to. Because others need our care.
Don my PPE, doff my PPE. Wash my stethoscope, my hands, what have I touched? Better wash again. Next patient. Remain vigilant, don’t touch my mask, sanitize my work station. Am I safe to take a drink from my water bottle? Can I take my mask off in here? Is in in the air? Carry on.
It’s exhausting. It’s terrifying. We’re tired, we want it to be over. But we go on. Because we have to. If not us, then who? I do my job, I go home, I hug my family. I hope I don’t bring it there. I’m afraid.
But then I hear of those who are rallying against the affront to their freedom that is, of all things, being asked to wear a mask. To do their part. To be a good citizen to protect their fellow man. You can’t tell me what to do! It’s just a virus.
Then why is it not? Why is it all so different? What am I so afraid? Why won’t they listen? Why can’t we all just do our part to stop this? Why won’t they?
I feel slapped in my face. I am there. We are there. We WILL be there when it’s your turn. Or your family. Your friends. We don’t ask your stance on masks, or distancing, or shutdowns when you come to us. We just are. There. To help all those we can. Until we can’t. Until we have to decide. Who lives today, who dies. Who can’t we treat because the hospital is full; when there are no more ventilators?
So please, stop. I can’t. I won’t. I will be there for you, when it’s your turn, because that’s what I do. So STOP. Stop slapping me in the face with your denial. Stop making a mockery of my sacrifice. Your rallies, your signs, your rights, your privilege...
Stop. Because I want to stop. I want it all to stop. But it won’t. Until we all decide it’s up to us. Up to each and every one of us to do our part. To stop being selfish and look around. To see.
It’s time. To stop...

1 comment: