Saturday 2 April 2016

A to Z Blogging Challenge

Once again it's time for the A-Z Blogging Challenge.  Last year I discussed many classical and contemporary music composers.  I'm dedicating this year's Blogging Challenge to the work of the late David Bowie who was one of my favourite rock musicians.  His songs cover almost the entire alphabet, and I'm starting with As the World Falls Down.

As the pain sweeps through/Makes no sense for you
Every thrill has gone/Wasn't too much fun at all
But I'll be there for you/As the world falls down

This song was recorded for the soundtrack of the 1986 film Labyrinth, starring David Bowie and Jennifer Connolly.  The featured scene is an illusion of a masquerade ball that the Goblin King (Bowie) creates for young Sarah (Connolly) to distract her from her quest to find her missing baby brother.

With gently seductive lyrics and an overlay of chimes and bells, the song has an otherworldly quality to it along with a subtle call to leave cares behind and put faith in one's heart.

A video featuring clips from the film was planned for release in 1986 but was mysteriously cancelled.  Instead it was included on the Best of Bowie compilation DVD in 2002 and can now be viewed on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvLnPO9t4Wg

2 comments:

  1. You've picked such a special, and such a particular niche! It's amazing to see you keep up the prompts day by day! I wish I could do the challenge but I'm all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw fun. I unfortunately am the WORST at music so I have to pass. But I'll check back for a bit of education. ;)

    ReplyDelete