Tuesday 5 April 2016

D - DJ

I am a D.J., I am what I play
Can't turn around, no, can't turn around, oh no
I am a D.J., I am what I play
I got believers (kiss-kiss) believing me

Initially recorded at Mountain Studios in Montreux in September 1978, it was re-recorded in March 1979 in New York for the album Lodger and later released as a single with the B-side "Repetition".

The song is noted for the bridge guitar solo by Adrian Belew that was recorded in multiple takes and re-mixed together.  The single was issued on green vinyl in the UK and is now a highly sought-after collector's item.  However it didn't receive much chart success and was very rarely performed live.

The video features Bowie having the run of a music studio intercut with scenes of him strolling around London and interacting with a crowd of curious people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgPUxjQOk-w

It has been thought that the song is a commentary on the "cult of the DJ" and the price of fame - a theme that comes up frequently in Bowie's music.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy that I found your blog about Bowie! I am loving your little snippets and notes!

    Mary
    #AtoZChallenge E is for Elle

    ReplyDelete