Friday 31 October 2014

Store-Bought Halloween

Halloween is always fun at our place.  It's a safe neighbourhood with lots of kids around.  A guy across the street is well known for his ostentatious display and boom box that plays tunes like "Monster Mash", "Ghostbusters", and "Purple People Eater".  We start giving candy at about 5:30 PM and approximately 400 kids show up at the door over the course of the evening.  Typically we run out of candy by 8 PM although other neighbours continue until 9 PM or later.

One of the things that has saddened me about Halloween recently is the apparent sexualization of costumes. Many store-bought costumes, even ones for kids, are becoming skimpier.  Some can't be worn outdoors on a cold night like we have in Canada at the end of October, like the mini-skirted Monster High stuff.

Granted there are adults who might like to dress up for fun at parties and such.  But they're in a minority.

Speaking of store-bought, that's another thing.  Fewer costumes seem to be home-made these days.  I remember every single one of my Halloween costumes was hand-made by my mother, either from a pattern or from her own imagination.  I guess people just don't seem to have the time or make the time to do it.  It's unfortunate.

I think I'll just sit back with some candy and watch a Tim Burton flick.

No comments:

Post a Comment