Wednesday 3 September 2014

Early Musicals

"Never say goodbye, because goodbye means going away, and going away means forgetting." -- J.M. Barrie

This morning I was reminded of a play that I was involved with back in grade school. Mrs. Pidcock, one of the most active members of the community, organized a Peter Pan musical play for the combined Grade 7 classes of the two English elementary schools. She and Mrs. Tae, one of the music assistants, wrote the lyrics to all the songs, that were set to tunes from various musicals and pop artists. I auditioned for a stage role, and although I didn't get one, I didn't mind because I was already in the chorus that would be singing in the background.

The play ran for two consecutive nights and the school gymnasium was packed both times. The crocodile, played by a short but feisty boy named Allen, stole the show with his song set to Bill Haley's Rock Around the Clock:

One bite two bites three and four
Five bites six bites seven and more
Eight bites nine bites ten and eleven
One more bite and I'll be in heaven

I'm gonna chomp and bite that man tonight
I'm gonna chomp and bite with all my might
And I will start to smile with glee
When I have Hook inside of me
Gonna chomp and bite him with delight tonight

Tick tick tock tick tock tick tock
Tick tick tock tick tock tick tock
Tick tick tock tick tock tick tock
Gonna chomp and bite that man tonight

I'm gonna bite his ear that's just for fun
I'm gonna bite his leg so he can't run
And I will start to smile with glee
When I have Hook inside of me
Gonna chomp and bite him with delight tonight

Tick tick tock tick tock tick tock
Tick tick tock tick tock tick tock
Tick tick tock tick tock tick tock
Gonna chomp and bite that man tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment